facebook flickr twitter BSCDA 60th Logo Low REs

News Items


By BSCDA, Aug 9 2017 07:33PM

There may have been just 28 cars at Sheffield on Sunday afternoon, but between them they produced one of the best meetings of the season, with an action-packed session full of hard hits, last-bend finishes, a rollover and a controversial end to the meeting final.

It was Nigel Green who flashed past the chequered flag to win the final, after lunging at Joff Gibson on the final bend, to come out the other side in front. After the dust had settled, however, and after much deliberation, the meeting steward docked Green two places for kerb-cutting and awarded the race to Gibson, with John Dowson third.

Green was unhappy with the decision and appealed, using video and photo evidence suggesting he had used a manoeuvre the majority of drivers execute at Owlerton Stadium on a regular basis. As a result, the following day Green was reinstated as the winner.

The racing itself was first-class. The meeting began with a nine-car whites and yellows race which was won by Eliot Smith, with Robert Plant second and Geoff Nickolls third.

Russell Cooper led the opening 22-car heat early on before pulling off with a flat tyre, then Gibson took over from Nigel Harrhy at halfway. Mat Newson, who has become a Sheffield specialist, took up the chase but ran out of laps to get in a blow and had to settle for second. Lee Fairhurst finished third, ahead of Danny Wainman, Frankie Wainman Jnr, using a spare car normally raced by Karl Hawkins, with Green sixth.

Heat two featured 20 cars and was stopped after a couple of laps after Plant clipped Nickolls, who had spun into a turn one fence post, hitting the fence hard. The pack soon piled in, with both Newson and Hawkins spinning. Hawkins pulled off, while Newson restarted at the back of the field, which was led by Jack France from Smith, Chris Brocksopp, Mal Brown and Ben Riley.

Two laps into the restart and Smith pushed France wide into turn one, with Brocksopp close behind and leaning on both. All three drifted wide towards the fence with Brocksopp climbing over the bonnet of France, which tipped him into the air and into a huge roll, ending up on his roof. As a result, with the pack charging in behind, the track was completely blocked.

The restart was led by Smith, from Riley, with Brown and Craig Finnikin next. Riley gave Smith a big hit into turn one, but Smith got superior drive out of the corner to momentarily lead into turn three. Riley dived up the inside, only to tangle with the leader and was collected by Finnikin close behind.

Will Hunter led the restart from Green, Finnikin and Brown, with Green taking the lead after a well-executed last-bend move to take the win. Finnikin and Newson slipped through for second and third, while Hunter recovered to finish fourth, ahead of Danny Wainman and Brown.

The final fielded 19 cars and the yellows came out after four laps after Hunter went into the fence. Gibson led the restart ahead of Dowson, Cooper, Green, Newson and Wainman Jnr.

Gibson maintained his lead from the restart and it was Newson, who had past Green, who posed the biggest threat. The Norwich superstar closed up on Gibson, giving the leader a huge hit into turn one with five laps to go, only for the propshaft to brake which left him drifting into retirement.

This left Green to take up the chase and on the last lap was close enough to take a dive up the inside of Gibson into turn three to take the lead and the flag. Once the steward’s decision was overruled the following day, final result was confirmed as Green the winner from Gibson, with Dowson third. Finnikin finished fourth, ahead of James Morris and Wainman.

Although Gibson had been awarded the race on the day, he didn’t take part in the 16-car Grand National. The race was stopped after six laps when Dowson launched at Wayne Marshall, only to tangle, taking Plant with them. Newson also tangled into turn one with Morris and Luke Dennis, who had a sizeable lead, also ended up involved in the melee.

The race restarted with Dennis maintaining his lead, from an ill-handling Wainman Jnr, Green, Finnikin and Danny Wainman.

Green got a flat and was put into the turn three fence by Billy Johnson, while Wainman set off after Dennis, using the front bumper to full effect with three laps to go, sending Dennis into the turn three fence. Wainman went on to take the victory, ahead of Finnikin, Johnson, Harrhy, Frankie Wainman Jnr Jr and Newson.

So ended an extraordinary day.